Tuesday, August 07, 2007

please take the wheel

Hi.

I think it's about time for an update on here. This is brought to you in part tonight by the Koski laundry machines, successfully detaching me once again from the tasks left at the apartment, so I can count the minutes until all waterdroplets have evaporated from my garments. I should note that I don't mooch on the 'rents that often, I do have my own laundry down the hall. However, I think whoever designed the size of the washing machine tubs did not take into consideration that just a few doors away is a girl with a walk in closet, and a couple sheets, who thinks that its a complete crime to spend $3 to wash and dry them.

But seriously, I've been thinking about time alot lately. and the sand of it really is slipping through my fingertips, as if it were really even in my hands. But I can't stop its wheels or make the sun stand still.

I turn 26 next month. I recently read somewhere that this is the age one is actually perceived as an adult by american society. Ok so I've got about 48 days to make the best of my childhood. Just kidding. I hope to always answer when asked about it: "so far, so good".

I don't really feel that old, its just that some things in the past are starting to feel so far away. And its causing me to wrestle with some stuff, like where am I really going or what am I really doing with this whisp of time granted here before it's up? And how am I using those moments? I need to be reminded of who I was, who I am, who God is, of what's true, and real.

And life around here has been so surreal the last week with the bridge collapse. My spirit is so heavy. The devastation is so close this time. I can see just the of the far west side of it on my afternoon bus rides over the 3rd Ave bridge. I look out the window with the rest for a glimpse, confirming it's really there, it really happened. I've yet to follow after the throngs of people who line the ways to this deep, bleeding wound in our city.

When I cross over the freeway, I'm always struck by the road signs that hover above it. They're still there. No one removed them, inspite of inaccurate direction they now provide. They're a false lead, directing us on a way ahead that's no longer there. And I suppose the time allotted to think on this ride has really made for some deep parallels, so bear with me because I think God was speaking to my heart on this.

Where are we going? What words over our lives do we accept, believe and then follow everyday? What are the road signs we trust and take direction from? Are they only the ones that lead towards something we think we want? Do they have the potential to change and misdirect us into danger or are they consistant for eternity, and set to bring us safely Home? And when we die, will we make it over to the otherside, choosing the one Bridge that promises just that?

Time is really not on our side and I'm feeling it so much now. God only knows the days He's written for us. He set eternity in our hearts. We can't escape it. We are going somewhere, and we will have to cross that bridge. I know He'll gonna bring me safely home, but am I choosing to follow His road signs each day to ensure the trip is prosperous? Are my very steps established in His Word?

So this is my prayer. Tear my eyes from those billboards, the distractions and trappings on this road trip. Let my face not be found on that familiar wide and well traveled road that just leads to desert. May my car never again idle on Apathy Avenue nor Complacency Circle. Or worse yet, be parked in pity or stalled at that stoplight called self. Let me instead, I pray, always be on the Way, in the Truth and filled with Life.


The rearview mirror is pretty clear. Clear that for this to all happen, Jesus, you'll need to take the wheel.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home